Search This Blog

Sunday 28 September 2014

My first Calendar Box

This weekend I've been making a Calendar box, for a Christmas gift. The pack I purchased from a company Craftwork Cards, the kit comes with 5 white boxes to make up, 12 white card tags per box and 5 mini 2015 calenders.


I took the sections out that were required to complete one box.

 
 
I decided to make the box first and took the advise to decorate the box first before making it up. Using a kit of paper and toppers from Craftwork Cards called the 'Potting shed'. I took two sheets of matching papers and some plain Bazzill brown cardstock. I created sections for the front, back and both side sections and matted these onto the brown cardstock. For the front pocket section I wanted to ensure the pattern matched and followed the main front section and matted this onto brown card also.
 
I fixed the front pocket using strong double sided tape and then added all the patterned section to all the sides. I then fixed the box together suing ulta sticky double sided tape as I wanted the box to be strong and secure. 
 
 
All lettering for my box and tags were created using my Cricut Gypsy device and Cartrdge Don Joan , welding and slating alternate letters before cutting. These were all cut from the same brown cardstock.
 
I then started decorating the white tags. I decided to decorate both the front and the back of
each card and I decided that I would not glue the calendar for 2015 to the actual tags (that way it could be reused each year). I parted my calendar and found a mini peg to used to hold this in place. On the  reverse of the tags I wanted to create a pocket to hold a slip of card 2 inches by 4 inches  for personal birthday dates to be noted on - again to be referred to each year. To create some of the pockets I used the toppers supplied in the potting shed pack whilst for others I created a pocket from papers only, all the pockets were stuck down using the ultra sticky double sided tape.
 
The idea of the calender box is that the tag is pulled out of the box and put in the front pocket on the correct month, using the peg supplied to attach the calender.


I continued decorating the remaining 11 tags, ensuring that each month differed and I used a mixture of the papers from the pad, on both the front and the back.

I printed the months of the year onto some plain white card for personalised dates to be written on and these along with the individual calender sheet were placed in the pockets created. 
 
 
It wasn't a quick thing to make but I was very pleased with the end result, have two more planned, a  dressmaking theme and a Disney theme.
 
 





4 comments:

  1. Loving your calendar box, I have just ordered some to have a go at so I can make them for Christmas presents. Caroline from Berkshire.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline, good luck making yours, have you decided on a particular theme.

      Delete
  2. WOW this is absolutely brilliant! I too have just ordered some to make for Christmas presents and yours has certainly inspired me. Thank you! Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jane , hope you enjoy making yours when they arrive. Mine took a while to create the individual tabs (downside of doing both sides I guess) , but I was pleased with the end result.

    ReplyDelete