Search This Blog

Saturday 4 February 2012

Laptop Card

Started of being a quiet week on the card requests, so I took the opportunity to start making some cards for myself - up until Tuesday evening anyway!
My husband came home from work and said one of his colleagues was leaving and could I make a card based around computers for staff to sign. My initial thought was 'panic' - I don't have any computer based stamps, but whilst eating my dinner an idea came into my mind, and I have to admit I laughed to myself.

Well the week before I had purchased 'The Boxer' from Crafters Companion, the ideal tool for just this type of card. I created three black sealed boxes and one open box (to create a draw) that fitted a compact disc in. When all stuck together this created a rectangle, the base of my laptop.  I then took a strip of black card and wrapped it round my boxes to cover.

I folded a black piece of card to create my main card section which was stuck to my box base.

I typed and printed the letters from a keyboard on to light grey card, and then cut out each key - approx 1cm square. These were stuck to the inside of the card, this was a bit time consuming to get in correct order (and correct way round - yes my number 8 key did start upside down).   I cut a large rectangle out of dark grey card and fixed to upper part of the card - to create my screen.

My Cricut Create machine and Gypsy Device then came into use to make the yellow letters which I welded together and red letters to create the phrase 'Sorry You're Leaving'. The phrase was fixed to the grey rectangle on the card. The Kodak circle ID disc was also created using my Cricut Gypsy device and attached to the lid of the laptop. 

The final part was to cut large circles from white card stock to cover the CDs - the staff would write their farewell greeting/comments on - 4 discs were created as about 20 staff need to sign the card. I just used old CDs so a good way to recycle. 

The word 'eject' was printed on a label and fixed to the movable draw. 

I enjoyed making this card, it did take a few evenings to create but I think the end result was well worth it. 








No comments:

Post a Comment